Saturday, December 26, 2009

I did a tune up on my car and when i pulled my sparkplugs out there was oil on it. so whats wrong with it?

it's an Integra 96 ls auto. if it helps i did the tune up when the car was wasn't even warm up because i didn't want to get burn. the car is not blowing smoke or anything. the coolant is fine and everything.I did a tune up on my car and when i pulled my sparkplugs out there was oil on it. so whats wrong with it?
The valve cover gasket does not keep oil from getting into the combustion chamber... SO IT ISN'T THE VALVE COVER GASKET!





Are the plugs wet (from fuel), or are they actually oily? There is a difference. Drive the car up to normal operating temperature then stop and let it cool and pull the plugs. The may be a light brown, maybe a little sooty because it is an older car. If the plug has thick OIL on them, then it is probably the valve seals allowing oil into the combustion chamber from the valve train.





I don't know what weight motor oil your runnin in your car, but the light stuff isn't going to cut it... 5-30 is too light on something 12yrs old and who knows how many miles. I would run at least a 10-40, if not 15-40 weight oil in the car first off. The thicker oil will help slightly with the issue, but not a fix to the problem....I did a tune up on my car and when i pulled my sparkplugs out there was oil on it. so whats wrong with it?
Could be a leak in the valve cover gasket. You got any smoke at all out of the exhaust at startup?
Where was the oil located? On the top side? On the side that creates the spark.





If it was on the top side, it would be the valve cover gasket is leaking oil onto the plugs.





If it was on the side where the spark is created, it's likely to be worn valve seals or bad piston rings.
you need a valve cover gasket

No comments:

Post a Comment