Saturday, December 26, 2009

Car with oil pump out?

My oil pump went out on my car a couple weeks ago. I can not afford to have it fixed because the labor is so expensive. It's a 97 Chevy Malibu in very good condition. Do you think I could sell it for about $1500.00 so that I could buy a different car?Car with oil pump out?
is your car front wheel drive? if so the opil pump is a pretty easy fix. As far as costs call a few good shops (dealerships) and ask for one that charges flat rate for labor and get a Quote. the nice thing about a flat rate shop is you only pay labor for what the book says. example book says it takes 1 hour to change rear brakes and it takes the mechanic 2 hours you still only pay for 1 hr of labor. Most good mechanics can do most jobs quicker than what the book says but I prefer knowing exactly what labor is going to cost me before the work is done.Car with oil pump out?
I seriously doubt that because there is no way to find out if there is damage to the lower end until the pump is replaced and the engine can be started or the pan is dropped. But you may get lucky and find somebody who will take the chances.
I would go to kelly blue book and get a good estimate on your vehicle. A lot of things determine the value of your car, mileage, condition, etc. Kelly Blue Book takes those things into account.





I personally would not pay 1500 for this car first because I have a 99 malibu that runs great and it is only worth 1000 if I am lucky.


Being that your car is two years older and not running means that you would have to take less.





Fixing an oil pump is labor intensive due to having take off the oil pan, gaskets, etc plus the price of the part.





Hope this helps
find a friend who knows how to work on cars buy the oil pump from auto zone and paythem its not that hard to shops stick it to you when it comes to labor on that car its prolby 100 dollars for the pump give someone 50 dollars to do it i have done a oil pump on that car it took me 1 hour the shop probly said 3 hours i learned a long time ago they always add a hour or so to cover any time to take breaks and stuff
if i were u lookink to sell that car why don't u get fixed to sell it for a higher price think about a 97 malibu stills goes for 3500 in good condition. Ask yourself this will u be able to profit if u had to pay the cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment