Thursday, January 7, 2010

Too much oil in my car. I put too much oil in my car will it hurt it? Should I take it back out?

You didn't say how much is too much. But yes, too much oil in your engine can harm it. Way too much could inhibit the movement of the pistons/rods causing major damage. I doubt that you put that much too much in. Oil levels significantly above the full mark can cause oil foaming in the crankcase which could lead to the oil pump becoming vapor bound - loss of oil pressure. If you have more than a quart extra, in a 4 quart system, I'd remove the extra oilToo much oil in my car. I put too much oil in my car will it hurt it? Should I take it back out?
Take out the extra oil ... Too much oil will cause damage to your engine .Too much oil in my car. I put too much oil in my car will it hurt it? Should I take it back out?
An old car will just burn it or spit it out, a new one will idle funny and odd.


Can't burn an engine with too much oil
Yes you should it will put a strain on the motor.
YES, to much can cause foaming.


If this is when you changed oil, have you started the car? the oil level will be high till the oil filter fills, about a 1/2 quart on most cars


A 1/2 quart isn't that much to worry about but take it easy.


Anything more then that drain it and refill to the correct level.
Yeah it'll tear up your engine. Get it out of there before you try to drive it.
Why is a BMW burning oil in the first place?
Check the manual of your car. Generally, it makes no good to an engine if it is overloaded by oil.
yes, the level should be corrected.it could cause you problems,it


could get into the intake air system through the PCV system.
Any car can burn oil, BMWs aren't immune.





But to much oil will load the engine too much. Also it will start to froth and foam, reducing the lubrication it provides. Also, it will be pushed out of the crancase vent to the PCV, clogging it and dragging more oil out with it, so your oil consumption will go up.
yes and yes you should never over fill anything.when it comes to your car.
Yes to much oil will definitely hurt the car you need to take some out asap
if you have to much oil in your oil sump, the crankshaft will cause the extra oil to turn into sludge and then it will ruin alot more than you think and you will have to get another engine or another car.
Just a notch above the 'full' mark on the dipstick? I wouldn't worry too much.





But if it is way too much, you must drain it down to the level.





Liquids, unlike gas, cannot be compressed. This means, if there is too much oil, the crank shaft has to work way harder. It burns more gas plus more importantly it will damage the engine or, over time it will burn oil because the piston rings are damaged.
No......add another 2 quarts
No, it wont hurt it, but if you reallyt must, you can take the plug out of the oil pan and drain a bit out
immediately stop driving the vehicle. You should have the oil drained and then refilled to the right level. Expect your engine to destroy itself if you keep driving it overfilled.
Yes! I did that once. Totally messed up the engine. Then again, the car was an '82 Cutlass.

No comments:

Post a Comment